10.1.19

10.1.2019

SpaceTime: Herkkunuotta, Kauppahalli, 12:30 lunch
Atmosphere: Busy, street-ish, plain
Food: Breaded flounder with potato pure, roe sauce, pickled red onion, steamed vegetables
Price: 13.90€
Thoughts: I was able to find a relatively peaceful corner spot at the counter of Herkkunuotta, offering over-the-counter fish products as well as sparkly street food, much like Deli Verde (S Wallin) close by. It's almost as if these two fish vendors are in competition!

The dish was gorgeous! The roe sauce, the fish and the potato puree created a colorful display to whet my appetite. The flounder was cooked nice and crispy, the potato pure was nice but not exactly warm, the sauces and pickled onions were yummy and the steamed veggies were finely cooked and tasted as you'd expect.

The price was a bit steep, and I can't decide if it was worth it or not. The flounder had a very mild taste to it, and in junction with the breading and grilling, tasted mostly salty and oily. I'm not a big fan of strong oceanic tastes, and in that regard the dish was definitely not overwhelming. However, I kept pondering if the somewhat simpler salmon dish I ate yesterday had worked better, or if I just prefer salmon to flounder. It could be that some of the culinary artistry is simply lost on this unsophisticated brute. All in all, the dish was yummy and I wouldn't mind eating here another time.

I also ate my portion before paying, but this time didn't attempt to leave before paying. Progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment